Navigated Table of Contents
Roku Device | What is Roku and how it Works?
Roku Device – Roku is a device that displays media such as movies and music from the internet to your TV. The device requires little effort for setup and can connect to the internet the same way you connect your PC. Roku media streaming service is combined with an operating system (OS) that makes users to access internet streaming content.
There are three different types of Roku Device:
- Roku Box: This option stands alone. It helps you connect to the internet via your broadband router using either Wi-Fi connection or Ethernet cable. Roku box can connect to your TV directly or through a home theater receiver via HDMI like a DVD or Blu-ray player.
- Roku Streaming Stick: This option is slightly larger than a USB flash drive as a compact device, instead of you plugging into a USB port, you will plug it into any available HDMI input in your TV or home theater receiver. The steaming stick comes with a built-in Wi-Fi for connection to a broadband router.
- Roku TV: Roku TV is a all-in-one solution which do not require the connection of an external box or stick for accessing the internet streaming content as the Roku operating is built into the TV already. Either using a Wi-Fi network or a Ethernet cable, the TV connects your broadband router. Roku works hand-in-hand with some TV brands, some of the TV brands that offers Roku TV in their product lines are; Hisense, Insignia, Hitachi, Sharp and TCL. Roku TV comes with different screens sizes and 720p, 1080p and 4k Ultra HD versions are available.
Roku Device | Roku Channels and Apps
All the product of Roku provides access to up to 4,500 channels but it depends on the location of internet streaming content. The channels ranges from popular services like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, Pandora, iHeart Radio and also to niche channels such as Local News Nationwide, Twit.tv, Crunchy Roll, Euronews and many more. Even popular networks like NBC have apps now. NBC’S Roku app allows users to live stream major sporting events such as the Olympics.
However, there are lots of free internet streaming channels, there are also some that requires an additional subscription or pay-per-view fees for you to access content. You can buy the Roku device and can still prompted to pay for the things you watch. Roku also provides users additional apps that access video, music and image content stored on PCs or media servers that can be connected to your home network.
Roku Device | How to take your Roku Streaming Stick or Box with You
Your Roku Streaming Stick or Box can be taken with you when going to somewhere far or travelling or going for a visit. The only thing you will need to do is to plug the Roku device into the HDMI port of the TV, for it to be done properly you will also need a Wi-Fi.
Roku Device | Roku Mobile App
Roku provides an app that makes it easier for users to access anywhere anytime. This mobile app is for both iOS and Andriod devices which makes it more accessible for users and it provides Voice Search as well as having two identical parts with several menu categories that are part of the actual Roku TV onscreen menu system which will allow you to control Roku devices directly from your phone.
For Roku TVs, the app controls the internet streaming and TV functions such as input selection, OTA channel scanning, picture and audio settings. A smartphone or tablet can also be used to send both videos and photos from the phone to a Roku box, streaming stick and view them on your TV or can also be done directly from your phone to Roku TV. an amazing part of it is that you can use a smartphone earphone for private listening of the content you are accessing on your Roku device.
Device | How to Set up a Roku Device
Once have access to a Roku device, you will have to set it up for you to start making use of it.
To setup a Roku device, kindly follow the below step:
- You have to connect the Roku Box or Streaming Stick to your TV, you can also turn on your Roku TV
- Choose the language you prefer
- You have to have access to a network. If you are using Wi-Fi, the Roku device will search for all available networks, select yours and connect it
- Type in a code number for the activation of your Roku product. Visit Roku.com/link on your device (PC, Laptop, Tablet or Smartphone) and enter the code as instructed
- Create a username, password and address information, also include a credit card or PayPal Account number. To use Roku, there is no charge but your payment information is requested for it to be quick and easy to make content rental payments, pay additional subscription fees (if needed), purchases.
- There are some things that will be included in the setup procedure such as verification of an antenna or cable TV connection and channel scanning
- After the setup process, the Roku Home Menu will appear and let you access the device operation and channels/apps selection
Convenience Features Of Roku Device
One you get your Roku device, and you have set it up, there are some convenience features you will take advantage of. Some of the features are:
- Voice Search: It is easy to navigate Roku onscreen menu using the buttons on the remote control, you can use voice search if you have a Roku device that includes a voice-enabled remote control or the Roku Mobile App to find content by actor, movie, directors or program title or launch streaming channels in natural language
- TV Everywhere Single Sign-On: For those using a Roku device in combination with cable or satellite service. This feature reduces the constant need to log in into TV Everywhere channels constantly. This feature allows users to store up to 30 channel sign-ons
- The Roku Channel: However, Roku serves as gateway to lots of internet streaming services and channels, it also offers free TV shows and movies on its own Roku Channel without having you log in or to pay subscription fees.
- 4K Spotlight Channel: For users using Roku 4K-enabled streaming stick, TV or Box, there will be a special onscreen menu option provided that will make it easier to find 4K content via categories such as genre. This 4K spotlight will only appear when a 4K-enabled streaming stick or box detects that will be connected to a compatible 4K Ultra HD TV.
Roku Device | Additional Features for Roku TV owners with Antennas
For a user that prefers a Roku TV in addition to streaming, it can also be used to access TV programs using a connected antenna.
- Smart Guide: This feature merges both the over-the-air TV channel listings with streaming channel app listings for a seamless navigation experience. You can list your favorites and for streaming content which allows you to play from the beginning or resume playback from where it was paused. Broadcast TV listings up to 14-days in advance can also be displayed.
- Roku Search for Over-The-Air Content: You can search for up to 500 channel apps. You can just select which one you wish to watch.
- Voice Control for Roku TVs: you can use Roku TV Voice Control to switch TV inputs and tune it to a local broadcast channel. For those who did not have access to a voice control remote, you can use a compatible mobile phone to access the Voice Control tasks.
- Fast TV Start: With this feature, you can give command to the device like “launch Netflix” or “Tune to CBS”, after giving the command, the TV will turn on and go to the channel or app directly.
- Private Listening for Roku TVs: Users of Roku TV can listen to the antenna-received or streaming programming using earphones connected to either a headphone jack-eqipped Roku remote control or a earphone plugged in into a compatible smartphone.
- Optional Roku TV Wireless Speakers: To get a better sound for your Roku TV, it can be connected to a home theatre audio system or a sound bar. Roku offers its own wireless speaker system specifically made by them to pair with Roku TVs.
Roku Device | Which Roku option is best for you?
There are some options created by Roku for users to connect to their TV and listen to music.
Here are some of the useful options:
- If you have an old TV that does not have HDMI input, there are a limited number of models made by Roku such as Roku Express+ that will make you connect to a TV using analog video/audio connections.
- If you have a TV with HDMI connection but does not have smart features, you can add a Roku streaming stick or Roku box
- If you have a 4K Ultra HD TV but it is not a smart TV, or it is a smart TV but does not offer enough streaming channels, you can consider using the streaming Stick+ or Roku Ultra that supports 4K streaming available from the apps that are selected.
- If you have a smart TV that does not offer the streaming channels you want, you can also add a standard Roku Streaming Stick or Roku Express box to use it expand your selection.
Roku products provide a practical and affordable way to add internet streaming or expand internet streaming options, to the TV and home theater viewing experience